Water resistant (IP) rating explained !
It is a standard which classifies and rates the degree of protection against ingress of objects in electrical enclosures. ( like fingers , wires , dust , water etc.)
It is published by by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). IP rating includes two digits and a optional letter.
First digit is for solid particles protection. It ranges from 0 to 6. Second digit is for liquid protection it ranges from 0 to 9.
IP ratingFirst digit specifications
- Level 0 No protection against contact and ingress of objects.
- Level 1 ->50 mm Any large surface of the body, such as the back of a hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part.
- Level 2 - >12.5 mm Fingers or similar objects.
- Level 3 - >2.5 mm Tools, thick wires, etc.
- Level 4 - >1 mm Most wires, slender screws, large ants etc.
- Level 5 - Dust protected, Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment.
- Level 6 - Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.
IP ratings second digit specifications.
- Level 0 - None
- Level 1 - Dripping water, Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect on the specimen.
- Level 2 - Dripping water when tilted at 15° Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle of 15° from its normal position.
- Level 3 - Spraying water, Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
- Level 4 - Splashing of water, Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
- Level 5 - Water jets, Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Level 6 - Powerful water jets, Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- Level 6K - Powerful water jets with increased pressure, Water projected in powerful jets (6.3 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction, under elevated pressure, shall have no harmful effects.
- Level 7 - Immersion, up to 1 m depth, Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).
- Level 8 - Immersion, 1 m or more depth, The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.
- Level 9K - Powerful high temperature water jets, Protected against close-range high pressure, high temperature spray downs. source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
Top waterproof phones
- Samsung galaxy S8
- Samsung galaxy S8+
- LG G6
- Apple iPhone 7
- HTC U11
- Sony Xperia XZ and XZ Premium
- Samsung galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Sony Xperia XZ1